Volunteers across the country have shown an outpouring of support for the families of the crew of CG-6535 by organizing multiple fundraising events in the wake of the tragedy that claimed the lives of four brave Coast Guard members. The Coast Guard Foundation is immensely grateful to these organizers for their support during this difficult time.
These volunteer fundraisers have been greatly successful:
- The "Practical Factors," a cover band made up of all active-duty Coast Guard members, performed a benefit concert in memory of CG-6535 on Saturday, April 21 at The Shed BBQ & Blues restaurant in Mobile, Alabama.
- The 2nd Annual Run to Remember 100-mile Ultra-Marathon will take place May 19 and 20 in Key West, Florida. Eight teams of six people will run the race in a relay. Each member of the team is running in memory of one of the 48 Coast Guard heroes lost over the past 20 years. Money raised will support The Foundation's Fallen Heroes Scholarship Fund.
- The Manhattan Sailing Club hosted an event last Thursday, which raised $300 to support the families of the crew of CG-6535. Donations will go to the Family Disaster Relief Fund and the Fallen Heroes Scholarship program.
- The local SeaTow chapter in Mobile arranged a fundraiser last weekend at the Original Oyster House on the Mobile Bay Causeway. Owner Robbie Cardin led airboat rides on the delta and accepted donations from those who attended.
- The chapter of Navy Federal Credit Union at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn. held a bake sale last week, which raised $300 for The Fallen Heroes Scholarship Fund.