The Coast Guard Foundation will host the 29th Annual Pacific Area Awards Dinner in tribute to the United States Coast Guard at 6 p.m. on Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the historic Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco.
The event will bring together civic and business leaders, mariners, sailors, and notables from all over the country to honor heroism and mission excellence from the brave men and women serving in the Coast Guard's Pacific area. These individuals are responsible for protecting our shores, enforcing maritime law, and preserving our environment from the west coast of the U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, and Pacific territories such as Guam and American Samoa.
"It is with great pleasure that we honor and celebrate the men and women of the Coast Guard serving in the Pacific area, and all they do to make it safer for us and the environment," said Anne Brengle, president of the Coast Guard Foundation. "With a territory that encompasses 74 million square miles, stretching from the Arctic to the Antarctic and the western United States to Asia it must be a daunting task; but they do it well, even in the worst sea and weather conditions."
Michael Nerney, from the Port of San Francisco, is this year's dinner Chairman.
The honorary committee includes:
- Commander Pacific Area and Commandant-Select, US Coast Guard Vice Admiral Paul Zukunft
- City of San Francisco Mayor Edwin M. Lee and First Lady Anita Lee
- Mayor of Oakland Jean Quan
- Dr. Floyd Huen, First Husband of Oakland
- Former U.S. Secretary of State George P. Shultz
- City and County of San Francisco Chief of Protocol Charlotte Mailliard Shultz
- Port of San Francisco Executive Director Monique Moyer
- Port of Oakland Executive Director J. Christopher Lytle
- Chevron Shipping Company President Michael L. Carthew
- Cliff House Restaurant Proprietor Dan Hountalas
- Coast Guard Foundation Board Member Kevin O'Connell
- Coast Guard Foundation Honored Guest Mrs. Warren Titus