2019 San Francisco Dinner Recap
The Coast Guard Foundation hosted its annual tribute on the West Coast on May 14 at St. Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco. Community and corporate supporters joined together to pay tribute to the work of the United States Coast Guard and raised $145,000 for the cause.
With significant Coast Guard mission excellence and daily acts of bravery to acknowledge and celebrate in California, it was difficult to call-out a single case worthy of mention. But, the Coast Guard’s response to the January 2018 devastation left by mudslides that destroyed much of Southern California stood out among many others.
Following the destructive wildfires that stripped bare hundreds of square miles of mountains and hillsides, it didn’t take much rain and wind to set off damaging mudslides in Southern California in early 2018. With evacuation orders in place for 37,000 residents of Santa Barbara County, Coast Guard members from across the region activated to respond to emergency calls for help and coordinate with state and local first responders. This response team saved nine people, assisted twenty-nine more displaced from their homes, and rescued fifteen pets. Representing the mudslide response team at the dinner was MST1 Jason Frost, MSD Santa Barbara; AET2 Jacob Dillon, Sector San Diego; AST2 Joshua Piasecki, Air Station San Francisco; and OS3 Nick Cancelliere, Sector LA/LB.
Admiral Karl Schultz, Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard, provided keynote remarks.
Coast Guard Foundation president Susan Ludwig thanked those in attendance for their support and acknowledged the work that is made possible because of it.
“There is a direct link from what we are doing here tonight and what we have done for half a century in building stronger Coast Guard families,” said Ludwig. “When we invest in strengthening Coast Guard members for service it extends beyond those who wear the uniform...When the whole family is cared for, our Coast Guard members are better equipped for the critical work of saving lives, securing our ports and protecting our environment. Our work makes a real difference and I thank you.”
Event highlights, in addition to those detailed above:
- Full photo album with event highlights can be viewed here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDz6Ga9
- Thank you to Chevron Shipping Company for serving as our Dinner Sponsor.
- Rear Admiral Peter Gautier, USCG, Commander of the Coast Guard’s 11th District, provided opening remarks.
- Vice Admiral Linda Fagan, USCG, Pacific Area Commander, was in attendance to celebrate and honor Coast Guard heroism and mission excellence.
- Mr. Greg Rossman served as master of ceremonies for the event.
- Susan Ludwig, Coast Guard Foundation president, acknowledged those in attendance who have been long-term supporters of the organization’s mission. In particular, she thanked Coast Guard Foundation board member Leo Paul Koulos, who along with his wife Ginny, have had a strong influence on the event’s success, and whose generous support and strategic vision has made a lasting impact on the Coast Guard Foundation.
- St. Francis Yacht Club hosted the crew of the USCGC PIKE at its Coast Guard Appreciation Night in April. We thank their members for the generosity extended to the Coast Guard crew.